Focused breathing is one of the quickest ways to change your physical and emotional state. We have outlined a few exercises that will help decrease feelings of anxiety, increase pulmonary efficiency and refocus your mind and body for prolonged relaxation results after your massage or skin service with us.
Antiarousal Pursed-Lip Breathing
Enhances pulmonary efficiency while allowing clients to achieve a “full exhale”. Can also diminish feelings of anxiety.
- Sit and exhale slowly and comfortably through pursed lips
- While exhaling, visualize a candle flame with the exhalation sufficient to flicker the flame but not blow it out
- At the end of the pursed-lip exhalation, pause for one second, then inhale through the nose
- Without pausing, exhale again through pursed lips blowing the air in a thin stream followed by a pause for one second, then nasal inhalation
- Repeat this sequence approximately 30 times, morning and evening
At least one time per week, test how long you can hold your breath. As the weeks pass, and CO2 tolerance increases, the comfortable breath-holding period should gradually increase.
Sources: Massage & Bodywork Magazine